Saturday, October 21, 2006

High's and Low's

Goodbye Ecuador, hello Peru...

After almost 2 months in the lovely Ecuador, I have now crossed the border into Peru. When, I am not entirely sure? Somtime in the last week? It's all a blur really as I have been sick as a dog since arriving. All I know is that in the past week I have been on 5 buses and on the road for a total of 28 hours. That may be just the reason I feel so miserable? And the altitude? I do know I crossed the border at 3am and had to go through all the formalities in Spanish. It wasn't pretty.

My first stop in Peru was Trujillo, northern Peru's largest city. It was quite a pleasant city, colonial feel and all. I stayed in an interesting hostal owned and run by an English man, Michael and his Peruvian wife, Clara. Michael did not move far from the couch or television during my 3 days there. Futbol was on you see. Priorities obviously! Clara on the other hand worked her little tush off with the other two staff members. She was a feisty one and absolutely hilarious. She would charge you for anything and everything that she could possibly get away with. Even the "free" tea and coffee! Well those guests she did not take a liking to and to which she made no secret of! Thankfully I did not fall into that category and had the priviledge of free hot chocolate, strawberries and cream and herbal tea....she made it quite clear I was not paying because I was nice, but my Israeli roommate was paying because he was tight! Too funny.

I didn't do any tourist activities at all during my stay in Trujillo. I did however, come across some very lovely locals while I roamed the city. Two who took it upon themselves to help me out when I was seriously lost. I must have looked quite distressed for them to approach me? I also sat in one of the plaza's for 2 hours with a young man who wanted to practise his English. Joze was 35 and at uni learning English. He wanted to leave Peru for a while to work in the Carribean and earn some $USD. I also got to practise my Spanish which was great. He spoke nice and slow for me! I also met Julio, a local tour guide who walked with me for ages advising of the dangers, must see's, don't bothers of Peru. He was great fun and a real laugh. Made my day!

Then last night after 11 hours of bus riding and still feeling ill, I arrived in the beautiful Huaraz. I have treated myself to a very nice hotel rather than a hostel. I couldn't bare sharing a dorm and the risk of cold showers while I feel so miserable. So now I have my own wonderful and immaculately clean room with private bathroom and endless hot water. Heaven! Huaraz is surrounded by the magnificent Andes with the highest peaks in Peru and some of the highest in the world. Spectacular! A nice place to stop and recover for now...

No comments: