Thursday, August 14, 2008

Up in the tropics....part 2

Well, only a very quick entry for me tonight as I have things to do, places to be... :)

I am on a bit of a high today though. I have completed Day 2 of my Open Water dive course and thankfully passed my exam with flying colours. Tomorrow I leave for two days of living aboard a dive boat and of course, diving all about the outer reef. I can not wait! I do have a little of that nervous energy floating about, but am very ready to get right in to the open water where the real action is.

Before starting my dive course, I did a day trip to Kuranda. To get to Kuranda I took the scenic railway which is about an hour and a half trip. Absolutely stunning winding and weaving around all that rainforest. I was so glad I decided to take the train trip there. Kuranda itself did not impress me at all though. It's just one of those typical towns purely set up for tourists. Outdated hippy markets, over ridden with tacky tourist stores, everything completely overpriced. It's such ashame as it is located in such a beautiful spot...rivers, waterfalls, rainforest etc. They have just ruined it though by going completely overboard on pandering to international tourists and the like. I am all for touristy destinations, after all I have spent the better part of the past 10years being one! But there are limits. And Kuranda does not appear to have any?

To make up for my disappointment of the town, I caught the Skyrail back to Cairns. It's a cable car ride over the canopy of the rainforest. Again, just stunning. And to witness the rainforest from above really is spectacular. You could jump off at various points to do some walks through the rainforest. I jumped off at two points which had some great look outs and great little walks. You have to experience it to appreciate it...like so many things in life really! All in all the day was worth it for the train and skytrain trips alone.

Other than that, met a few interesting and fun people along the way. Had a token night out which started with a very nice, posh dinner at a fantastic restaurant called Plantation. The food was sensational. And even better, a young American paid the rather pricey bill! I refused he do so many times, however in the end....what do you do :) For a very civilised beginning to the evening, 3 of us (a crazy Glaswegian also joined us) ended up at the Woolshed, a well known backpacker haunt where we drank many wines and danced the night away. Much fun was had and a slightly sore head was felt the following morning. What can I say...some things never change!

Well, time to go pack for my dive trip! Stay tuned for more later...

3 comments:

Lenise said...

OMG...did you dance on the tables at the Woolshed? That place is Tackarama. Yes. With a captital T!

Roxanne said...

You haven't even been there Miss Judgemental one!!! :) Did FSIL pass on that little message hmmm??? And yes, danced on the tables and had a great old night :)

patricia quinton said...

now now !!