Sunday, January 13, 2013

Nan Collimore


This weekend I have a heavy heart. This weekend I have felt a sadness I never knew quite possible.

Yesterday I lost my beautiful Nan. So suddenly, I am still in disbelief.

I have been so very fortunate to have had both sets of amazing grandparents well in to my adult life. I was also very fortunate to have had a great relationship with each of them in their own unique way. And as painful as it was to see 3 of my 4 grandparents pass due to various forms of illness, I was grateful I could say my final goodbyes.

And now, it's "Nan Collimore's" time. But there was no time for a final goodbye. No time to say goodbye to Nan Collimore who I had an extra special kind of bond with.

My Nan has been a constant in my life for as long as I can remember.

My Nan made my sister and I matching outfits, school uniforms, and fancy dress costumes.

My Nan took us to pantomimes, museums, galleries and waterslides.

My Nan loved reading, painting, leatherwork, and all things arty.

My Nan had a passion for swimming and the sea. She was the person who taught me to body surf and not to fear those dumpers!

My Nan took us to tennis with the "old ladies" who we always had a hit with.

My Nan took us on road trips from the Big Banana to the Dog on the Tuckerbox.

My Nan loved Chinese food and ensured we knew how to use our chopsticks for such occasions.

My Nan loved travel and culture and was so excited when I went out and explored the world, her and my pop visiting me on my first time living abroad.

My Nan loved weekend bbq's and taught us how to play "French cricket".

My Nan was strong willed, opinionated, independent, fit, smart and creative.

My Nan was all these things and much much more.

We were lucky to spend yet another great Boxing Day at Nan Collimore's just a few short weeks ago. Kids, grandkids and great grandkids.

My Nan is going to be sorely missed, much more than any words could possibly express.

Rest peacefully Nan.

xoxoxo
















No comments: